Tips for Impromptu Speaking
- Anticipate the situation--Figure the odds of having to speak to avoid a true impromptu!
- Relate the topic to your experience so that you have more confidence in what you're saying.
- Keep it simple! Decide on one point that you want to
make and stick to it.
- Don't start or end with a cliche--be creative!
- When in doubt...summarize. If you lose your thoughts, a quick summary statement might put you back on track.
- Quit while you're ahead! Too often, we wreck a good speech by dragging it out because we think we should speak longer.
- Don't be so hard on yourself! Remember that this is an impromptu speech, no one is expecting a perfect public address!